Taiwan Travels

Monday, June 27, 2005

Stopover in Hong Kong

For those of you who are waiting to hear news about my Beijing trip.. well here it is.

My first day on the trip was really spent in Hong Kong getting my visa to China ('cause I can't get a visa in Taiwan). Hong Kong was nice. I had bad luck with the weather, but it was still interesting.

I arrived at the airport in the morning on Monday June 6th applied for my visa at the airport (costing me 130 US dollars!) and took the bus to my hostel. I arrived at the area the hostel was located and had the joy of trying to find it!! I was at the right area (exactly) but there wasn't a sign so I just kinda stood there stupidly, 'til someone was walking out of the building and directed me where to go. (it usually works that way:)I got into my room put my stuff down and headed out.

I first went to Victoria's Peak. I thought I was going to take the bus a little ways and then take this tram, but somehow, I ended up taking the bus the entire way. Oh well, it was a very nice view from the top of the double decker bus anyway. :) I walked down one of the trails for awhile and enjoyed some of the scenery. (it was really foggy so I couldn't see the harbor very well)

After that I headed back to shore and took the Star Ferry across the harbor to Kowloon. I ate lunch (drooled over a telephoto lens for my camera at the mall) then headed to the Avenue of Stars to see Jackie Chan's hands and star. I found several Hong Kong actors/actresses I recognized. It was quite neat. Then I had to hang for a couple hours to see the Symphony of Lights. The Symphony of lights was really neat. While I sit in Kowloon, the Hong Kong island (directly accross from where I am) puts on a light show from the skyscrapers and other buildings with music on the Kowloon side. Take a look a the clip. Keep in mind though, that this was not a great part. I was too busy watching to film the finale! oops!

After the light show I headed back to the area of my hostel and took a tram a ways. I didn't have a destination. I just wanted to ride the tram.

If I had one more day, I would have really liked to go to Lantou Island hike around on the reserve trails and see the Giant Sitting Budda.

The next day I flew out of Hong Kong for Beijing..

Here are the links to the video clips:
Symphony of Lights
http://s93772208.onlinehome.us/Movies/HKLightshow371.MOV

Tram ride
http://s93772208.onlinehome.us/Movies/HKtram381.MOV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home